Almost 300 women (and nine brave men – thanks guys, you really love the woman in your life) attended the 4th Annual Girls’ Night Out (GNO), Tuesday evening, October 27 at Portsmouth Renaissance Hotel and Convention Center. GNO is a Bon Secours health event designed to bring women together for fun and good health each October ( national breast cancer awareness month).
In past years, Bon Secours showcased sleep laboratories, and orthopedic services available at Maryview Medical Center, DePaul Medical Center and Mary Immaculate Hospital.
This year, in support of Bon Secours’ strong surgical focus, the spotlight was shown on gynecologic health, and the many different types of cancers, prevention, and treatment options available through Bon Secours and our aligned physicians.
Women came from all points in Hampton Roads to enjoy and to be informed.
- The evening was a whirlwind of activity. Greeted by the friendly faces of our event hostesses, and rocking out to the music of DJ David Setchel, participants enjoyed many good things:
- wonderful health exhibits put together by our colleagues and community partners
- great lectures delivered by Dr. Greg Adams, breast and bariatric surgeon from Tidewater Surgical Specialists, and Dr. Thiendella Diagne of Hampton Roads OB/Gyn Center
- free benchmark health screenings
- low cost, convenient seasonal flu shots
Everyone attending ranked the event world class.
Top physicians were on hand for the health screenings, providing some participants with one-to-one communication with a doctor.
- Thanks to these talented doctors for connecting personally with participants in this celebration of women’s health:
- Peter Grinkewitz, DPM (Podiatry)
- Greg Adams, MD (Breast and Bariatric surgery)
- Thiendella Diagne, MD, Angela Parson, MD and Elliott Lucas, MD, the physicians of Hampton Roads OB/Gyn Center
- Christopher Walshe, MD ( Urogynecology and Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Organizers of the event estimate that more than 500 screenings were conducted, including HeartAware, BreastAware, SleepAware assessments, breast cancer and breast self-exam education, bone density screenings, cardiac screenings and more.
A total of 12 Bon Secours departments took advantage of the event and showcased their services. Thanks to everyone’s contribution – participants, volunteers, physicians, hostesses – this was an event worthy of every woman’s inner diva.