The recent death of a 5-year-old girl from Colorado is a tragic reminder that over-the-counter medications can lead to fatal poisonings. Medical examiners say Kimber Michelle Brown had more than twice the maximum recommended dose of dextromethorphan – a common cold medicine. The kindergartner also had high levels of an allergy medication in her system, according to an autopsy report from La Plata County Coroner’s office.
Always consult your doctor for advice on whether to give a child an over-the-counter medication. Health officials also warn caregivers to properly use dosage measuring devices.