A study of an outbreak of the stomach bug norovirus provides a good reminder to disinfect objects and surfaces that can become contaminated and spread infection. Researchers found that airborne norovirus in a hotel bathroom settled onto a grocery bag that contained snacks, according to a news release from The Journal of Infectious Diseases. Seven people became infected by norovirus after handling the bag of snacks that had been in the bathroom.
“While we certainly recommend not storing food in the bathrooms, it is more important to emphasize that areas where [airborne] exposures may have occurred should be thoroughly disinfected,” the researchers said in the news release. “This includes not only exposed surfaces, but also objects in the environment.”