Keep Loose Magnets Away from Children

Children’s products and toys that contain magnets must follow national standards to help keep kids safe. However, these safety standards do not apply to other products designed for adults that include loose magnets, which can easily be swallowed.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued an alert to inform pediatricians and parents about the potential dangers of swallowing loose magnets that can stick together and compress portions of the bowel wall. Magnetic ingestions can lead to surgeries, bowel perforations, endoscopies, bowel resections and other gastrointestinal injuries.

Loose magnets are often sold as body jewelry that mimics piercings in the mouth, ears and nose. Some injuries have involved products marketed as “stress relief” desk toys for adults.

Parents should contact their child’s doctor immediately if they suspect a magnet has been swallowed or inhaled.

Source: American Academy of Pediatrics

Speak Your Mind