Bon Secours Hampton Roads Pulmonary Rehab is helping some area residents breathe a little easier. Bon Secours’ team of pulmonologists, occupational therapists, behavioral health specialists and respiratory specialists provide exceptional pulmonary care with a combination of:
- exercise conditioning
- Strength training
- Activities of daily living
- Breathing retraining
- Emotional support
Patients seek pulmonary care for asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, COPD, sarcoidosis and many other breathing disorders.
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehab
- Increased physical conditioning, endurance, stamina.
- Improved quality of life.
- Reduction in readmissions, lengths of stay, medication costs.
“We provide hope to patients who perceive their living situations as hopeless,” said Trey Steckline, Bon Secours Hampton Roads regional director of pulmonary rehab. “We’ve had a huge impact on quality-of-life issues. We consider it our greatest success.” Steckline shared a few patient stories:
- A wheelchair-bound woman moved from weakness and a lack of energy to walking 20 minutes on a treadmill.
- Homebound patients now can attend church.
- Patients who couldn’t shop now walk across parking lots and through stores.
Under Bon Secours’ multidisciplinary approach, patients receive expert medical care coupled with transformative behavioral, therapeutic and occupational care.
“We break down the specifics of daily living,” Steckline said. “There is a right way and wrong way of completing every task. It’s our job to ensure that correct breathing techniques, pacing/energy conservation skills and body mechanics are all applied accordingly. “For our patients, small, daily activities can lead to exhaustion. If you can’t breathe, obviously, you are going to feel anxious. If you struggle to or are unable to complete routine tasks, it could lead to depression. Our program is designed to intervene.”
Need more on Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services?