As a working mom, my life is a balancing act.
I know I’m not alone. In fact, there’s an entire month dedicated to this topic: In 2003, the U.S. Senate designated the month of October as National Work & Family Month.
During this month, Bon Secours Virginia is sharing information and holding special events to help employees with work-life balance. And I was given the chance in this blog to represent all my fellow Bon Secours colleagues who have their own balancing acts.
Below are some tips that have worked for me and my family.
- Staying organized is the key. I have a calendar at home that is color coded for each of my three children.
- Give yourself a break. Ask for help, and take time for yourself, too.
- Prioritize what has to be done versus what you want to get done.
- Be flexible. Laugh.
- Communicate. Make sure the whole family is on the same page.
- Be realistic with yourself. Don’t set yourself up for failure.
- Rely on your family and friends.
There is no one recipe for balancing work and family. We can all learn from each other.
What are your tips? Post a comment and share your ideas!
Heather Renehan is the director of Service Excellence & Growth for Bon Secours HealthSource Administration. All three of her girls were born at Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital. She works for Bon Secours Virginia.