Stay Warm and Safe by the Fireside

It’s the perfect time of year to warm up your home with a cozy fire in the fireplace. Just be sure to take some simple precautions to stay safe this winter.

Consider these helpful tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

  • Before lighting up the fireplace, remove any nearby holiday decorations such as greens, boughs and papers.
  • Check to make sure the flue is open.
  • Keep “fire salts,” which contain heavy metals, away from children. If swallowed, they can cause vomiting and gastrointestinal irritation.
  • Avoid burning an leftover gift wrap in the fireplace. Gift wrap papers can cause a flash fire because they ignite suddenly and burn intensely.

Source: American Academy of Pediatrics

+ Find a Family Practice Physician

Speak Your Mind